Thursday, 7 April 2011
Open Call for Artists Submissions for outside:inside pop-up Festival
outside:inside is more innovative than ever before. In a bid to keep on pushing the boundaries of music and art as we know it, the event will be taking on the challenge of becoming the UK’s first ever pop-up festival.
This new pop-up status will delight and surprise as events literally ‘pop-up’ all over town with its landscape transformed by the opening of previously undiscovered areas, with more diverse buildings, top local, national and international talent, and eclectic cuisine. Pop-up venues, art galleries, cinemas, theatres and restaurants will spring out from courtyards, closed shops, empty office spaces, churches, bars, venues, and open green spaces across the month of July.
outside:inside festival is a project in its 4th year linking live music and Reading based arts organisations together for a month long city centre festival 9th-30th July 2011.
outside:inside 2011 promises to be the biggest and best yet, with some huge attention grabbing headliners already confirmed.
outside:inside pop-up festival 2011 is now seeking proposals from emerging artists who wish to be considered for inclusion in the pop-up exhibitions, shops and installations in partnership with jelly and the Open for Art project.
They are currently a number of shops available for either shop window based pieces or installations within the spaces and opportunities include producing illuminated works, works in digital media as well as installation, sculpture and two-dimensional work.
Some of the spaces will operate through the festival as performance spaces and we welcome proposals for artists in any medium who would be interested in working with the programmed bands.
Deadline for submission is Friday May 20th.
Submission is by filling in the online submission form (downloadable here)
* There is no fee available for artists however there is a small budget available to reimburse travel costs and a proportion of costs related to the piece and installation. This will shared between all artists.
* The opportunity to take part in the UK’s first ever pop-up festival with a large audience throughout the festival period
* Working alongside jelly and outside:inside team installing works and working the spaces, with learning opportunities
* Professional networking opportunities
* Inclusion in the website of the festival and jelly
* There is an opportunity for the use of some space to create the work prior to the festival in the form of some short term residencies in the town centre
* Possibility to submit pieces for sale through artists pop-up retails shop.
Update 5 April 2011
Take Part in Reading Arts Week
Once again submissions are being accepted from learners/local artists work for this years Reading Arts Week!
The week long festival is organised by New Directions, Reading Borough Council, Jelly and the Reading Informal Adult Learning Network.
We welcome painting, sculpture, photography, textiles, ceramics, furniture, glass, mosaics, jewellery and digital art including video.
All submitted work will be exhibited at the Reading Arts Week Weekend Exhibition at Penta Hotel Reading and a selection of work will be exhibited at preview events in Broad Street, The Forbury and Caversham Court Gardens.
Complete the attached Individual submission form and email/post. (Also available on website/ FB/Twitter).
The deadline for submissions is 5pm on Wednesday 1 June 2011.
New Directions on facebook: www.facebook.com/newdirectionsreading
New Directions on Twitter: www.twitter.com/_newdirections
New Directions website: www.newdirectionsreading.co.uk